I tried a new low carb recipe out this week that was delicious and only contained five ingredients which makes it a keeper in my book. I added more chicken and cheese than the original recipe called for to make it more filling for my family. **I am sharing the version I have made so far but the next time I make this recipe, I plan on adding taco seasoning to the meat to give it a more complex flavor. I will make sure and report back if it improved it at all.
2-lbs of diced, cooked chicken breast (I didn’t measure it exactly, but I would say it was around 3 cups of chicken)
8 ounces of softened cream cheese (make sure it is soft all the way through, almost melted really)
16 ounce jar of salsa verde
6 to 8 low carb tortillas (the number depends on how much you fill them up)
2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
Optional: taco seasoning or jalapenos to give it a little more spice would be awesome
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Cook the chicken first (I chose to sauté mine in a little oil and seasoned it with garlic powder and pepper)
3. Soften the cream cheese in the microwave until it is basically melted.
4. In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese and the salsa verde and mix until it is nice and creamy.
5. Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray.
6. Take each tortilla and place a large spoonful of chicken in the middle. Top it with a heaping scoop of the salsa verde/cream cheese mix and then roll it up burrito style. Line each tortilla side by side in the casserole dish.
7. After all the tortillas have been rolled and filled, pour the remaining salsa verde/cream cheese mixture on top and spread it out to coat it all completely.
8. Finally, sprinkle on the shredded cheese.
9. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown.