I have been seeing lots of images of low carb granola lately on Pinterest, so I picked a few of the suggestions that I thought would be tasty and whipped up this recipe. This granola was delicious on top of our favorite Vanilla Triple Zero Yogurt or would be great on top of a low carb ice cream.
*My husband and I both liked it, but agreed that the crunchiest bits were the best, so do not be afraid to overcook it:)
1/2 cup crushed walnuts
1/2 cup crushed almonds
1/2 cup ground almond flour
1/4 cup of flax seed meal
1/3 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of cinnamon (if you do not like so much cinnamon you can cut it back to a 1/2 teaspoon)
1/4 cup of sugar free maple syrup (yes it is a franken-food but just so good!)
3 Tablespoons of melted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter and the syrup.
4. Pour the liquid ingredients on top of the dry mix and stir together. **It will be clumpy and sticky but that is okay
5. Cover a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle the granola mixture on top. **You can kind of thin it out by spreading it, but clumps are okay too.
6. Bake the granola for 20-35 minutes. **If you spread it really thin, then it may be done by 20 minutes, but mine took 30 minutes to get relatively crispy. I think the next time that I may increase it to 35 minutes because the crispiest clumps were the best part:)
7. Let it cool and then store it in an air tight container in the fridge.
**This recipe makes a little over 2 cups (~2.3 cups to be exact!)
**I calculated that a 1/3 cup of this granola should be around 6 net carbs, but this will vary on the different brands of ingredients that you choose to use for your recipe. You can always use a smaller serving size to decrease the carbs also, so a 1/4 cup serving should be about 4 net carbs.