Waffle Pizza?? What kind of crazy person makes pizza in a waffle maker?? Well apparently it is a new thing in the food world and it is delicious!
I was browsing through a ton of low carb recipes and found a really delicious looking one on the Peace Love and Low Carb site. (She has a great selection of low carb recipes!) I guess I am not adventurous enough when it comes to food because I had never heard of savory waffles before. I almost chickened out on making this recipe because it called for coconut flour (which I hate) but I saw that almond flour was mentioned as a substitute in the comments and I decided to just make it with almond flour instead. I think it turned out amazing with just the almond flour but if you like coconut flour be sure to try the original recipe, because I am sure it is amazing too:)
3/4 cup of almond flour
1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese (I used the kind in the green shaker bottles)
3/4 cup almond milk (unsweetened, non-flavored)
1/4 cup butter, melted
4 eggs (you can use up to 6 eggs, but I was afraid it would be too eggy)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
1/2 teaspoon of basil (you can add oregano too, but I hate oregano)
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
Alfredo sauce (I used a premade kind, but the original recipe included a homemade version)
2 cups of mozzarella cheese
Optional toppings: Cooked bacon, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, etc.
1. Mix all of the crust ingredients together in a large bowl and whisk it until it is nice and creamy. **It will be soupy looking, but it is ok!
2. Preheat your waffle maker and then preheat your oven to 425 degrees for later.
3. When the waffle maker is ready pour in about a fourth of the batter. *I did not use a measuring cup, so pour in a little less than you would for traditional waffles. The batter tends to run, so do not over fill!
4. Cook each waffle until they are done all the way through or if your waffle maker has a finished light that should be fine (otherwise you will have a runny waffle pizza!!) **My attempt at this recipe made 3 really large waffles, but two of mine were overfilled and ran over, so a more careful cook could probably get 4 decent-sized waffles from this recipe:)
5. When all of your waffles are cooked, then transfer them onto a baking sheet. Top each pizza with alfredo sauce, chicken, cheese and whatever kinds of additional toppings you prefer.
6. Bake in a 425 degree oven for 10 minutes or until done.