Did I mention that I found a great deal on mushrooms last week?? Well I did! I know not everyone cares for mushrooms, but we sure love them around here…well at least my husband and I do, I am working on the kids:)
One of our favorite ways to eat mushrooms are to stuff them with various ingredients. A few months ago, I came across the idea to stuff them with sausage and cream cheese, which of course turned out to be delicious! So if you love mushrooms, be sure to try out this recipe because it is definitely a keeper.
**I do not really have any measurements for this recipe. I usually just eyeball it and make it a different way each time and it always turns out fine. I think the last time I made it, I used a 1/2 roll of sausage and 1/2 a package of cream cheese, which filled about 10 mushrooms. You can of course use more or less cream cheese to suit your taste, it is great either way.
cream cheese, softened
ground pork sausage, cooked and crumbled
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. Wash the mushrooms and remove the stalks.
3. Cook the sausage and drain well.
4. Add the cream cheese and sausage together and mix well. *If you feel it needs more seasoning you can add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Stuff each mushroom with the cream cheese and sausage mixture until it is slightly overfilled.
6. Place the stuffed mushrooms into a well-greased casserole dish and bake for 25 minutes or until the topping is slightly browned and the mushrooms look cooked (The mushrooms tend to have a medium gray color when they are cooked all the way through)
7. Let cool for a few minutes and then enjoy!