I adapted this recipe from the Heavenly Homemakers website and it is my favorite low carb dessert of all time. There are no sugar alcohols so these do not hurt your stomach at all. The secret to this recipe is to not use the virgin coconut oil that actually tastes like coconuts (unless you actually do like coconut-flavored Reese’s cups, then go for it!) **You also have to store these in the freezer because coconut oil and butter soften rapidly at room temperature.
Here are all of the ingredients you need to make these delicious “treats”:
1/2 cup coconut oil (I like the LouAna brand for this recipe because it has no coconut taste)
2 Tablespoons of cocoa powder (I like a darker chocolate taste, but you can use 1 tablespoon if you like lighter chocolate)
4 Tablespoons of butter
Your choice of sweetener to taste (I like Erythritol because it is gentle on my stomach) *I have used stevia and it turned out just fine also.
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1. In a microwave safe bowl, combine the coconut oil and butter and melt in the microwave.
2. After it is melted, stir in the vanilla, cocoa, and sweetener and mix it well. **I usually start off with two to three tablespoons of sweetener and then add more if needed after I taste it.
3. Pour into paper-lined muffin tins or a silicone muffin tray. **This recipe usually fills six muffin tins about half way full.
4. Into each filled well, scoop about 1 Tablespoon of peanut butter and make sure it is submerged. **I usually use my finger or a spoon and kind of flatten it along the bottom, making sure the top is covered with chocolate.
5. Freeze the tray for a couple of hours and then enjoy! **Remember to store these in the freezer because they will melt at room temperature.