I have tried many different low-carb recipes over the past few years, but one that appears almost weekly in my menu plan is called Fathead pizza. **The name hints at the level of fat in this recipe…which is quite substantial, because it is basically a pizza crust made entirely out of cheese!**
I know it sounds weird, but this pizza tastes great! It does not have the “bread” taste, but it feels like you are eating layers and layers of toppings, which happens to be my favorite part of pizzas anyways. My daughter even likes it, so it is definitely kid-friendly as well.
If you look up Fathead pizza on the internet you can find many different variations of basically the same recipe (It is very popular!) The recipe I am going to share is really forgiving, in fact I have stopped using the exact measurements and just throw together what I think looks right:) But here is a real recipe you can follow until you get the hang of making this delicious meal.
3 cups of shredded mozzarella (2 cups for the crust and 1 cup for the topping)
3/4 cup of almond flour
2 ounces of cream cheese
garlic salt to taste
Your choice of pizza toppings (Pepperoni, ham, veggies, pizza sauce, Alfredo sauce, etc)
*Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
1.Mix the almond flour, 2 cups of mozzarella, and the cream cheese all together in a microwaveable bowl. Heat for 1 minute in the microwave.
2.Stir the mixture and then heat it for an additional 30 sec.
3. By now all the cheese should be melted together after it is stirred, if it’s not, put it back in for 20 more seconds and stir it again.
4. Add in the egg and garlic salt, mixing the crust until the egg is fully incorporated (I usually knead the egg into the mixture with my hands, similar to how you would knead a pizza crust)
5. Next, cover a baking tray or a pizza pan with parchment paper and place the crust on top
6. This mixture is quite sticky, so you need to place another piece of parchment paper(or Saran wrap) on top and squish or roll the crust out to the desired thickness. I usually roll it out to the thickness of a thin crust pizza.
7. Using a fork, stab the crust all over and bake it in the oven for 10 min. It will blow up like a balloon, so after you remove it just press it back down again and then flip it over. Now you can add all of your favorite toppings and the extra cheese.
8. Return the pizza back to the oven and bake it for 5 more minutes (If the topping is not fully cooked after 5 minutes, I usually switch the oven to broil and cook it for 2 more minutes to get the toppings nice and crisp. Please watch it carefully if you choose to broil it, that cheese burns quickly!)
9. Let the pizza sit for a few minutes to cool and then serve.